TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - This is a first - I've been accused of running cars lean
People Seeking Info

Subject This is a first - I've been accused of running cars lean

Posted by Ash's Z on February 04, 2010 at 10:02 AM
  This message has been viewed 69 times.

In Reply To I too got great customer service from Ash, BUT... posted by leftfordead86 on February 03, 2010 at 08:19 PM

Message and now its rich. My programs have not changed nor will I change them. I know the programs will run properly in a car that has been properly maintaned and is in proper running order. I cannot tune for injector leaks, boost leaks, fuel pump issues, ignition timing being miscalibrated, etc. I put together the 6 P's document years ago to give everyone a set of tests and checks to go through in order to make sure their cars are in proper running order. It should be a series of tests that everyone goes through from time to time to make sure everything is right.

My programs were not put together by the seat of the pants. They have been developed over countless times of dyno tuning various cars and through that experience, knowing what kind of range of variability a particular setup will have from one car to the next. Then the programming is further tailored to account for some cars wanting to run a little leaner than others and for those who may have a little extra timing advance at the CAS. I can only buffer the program so far though - eventually you end up running the car excessively rich and will too little timing and performance suffers more than it is worth. Given the number of cars I have dyno tuned, I would go as far as to say that there likely is no other individual with the experience I have in so many setups of the Z32. This experience is put to good use in my programming I offer to customers. My programs are neither too lean or too rich - 11.5:1 is the target ratio for ALL of my pumpfuel programs. If your car is operating more than +/-0.3 A/F from this point, you need to track down the problem in the 6 P's and address it.

Unfortuantely the ECU always gets the blame when a person's car doesn't run properly. It is the biggest mystery part in the entire car and the easiest to blame. In my experience in doing ECU upgrades for the past 8 years now, the occurences when the ECU was actually the fault is less than 5% - probably less than 1% in fact.

Most typical issues are injector oring leaks when upgrading injectors. Boost leak issues causing an over-rich condition. Lean conditions caused by defective fuel pump, regulator, or clogged fuel filter. Timing belt issues seem to be the current thing a lot of people are having troubles with - several cars I've done ECU upgrades for recently ended up having mistimed belts.....

Interestingly enough, the ECU is by far the most accurate piece of equipment in the powertrain of the vehicle. Its operation is digital and has precision down to the thousandth of a millisecond. It is all of the other components that the ECU relies on that aren't always doing their job properly be it by malfunction, failure, or improper setup. These are complex powerplants in the Z32 - a lot of attention to detail is mandatory if you expect it to run properly and produce solid, safe power.

[ ashspecz.com ]
[ agpowers@bellsouth.net ]

Enthusiasts soon understand each other. --W. Irving.
Are you an enthusiast?

If you are out to describe the truth, leave elegance to the tailor.
Albert Einstein

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.